#1 2012-10-01 18:12:17

Chill

Cooking guide 1-400

Obsolete guide, will wait for something better.

Last edited by Chill (2012-10-02 12:54:23)

#2 2012-10-02 11:29:26

9th Requiem
Officer

Re: Cooking guide 1-400

I would not advise following this.

The guide looks to have been made before the change in karma ingredients, with the locations simply changed. This means it's not the cheapest way to level cooking - oranges, while not rare, are fairly uncommon, and you're looking at around 70c each on the TP to buy them - obviously not an ideal way to grind out 75 levels. To it's credit, it doesn't require any vanilla though.

It's also pretty wasteful - a lot of the items made can't be eaten (frosting) and yet never get used ... I'll write something better up if there's interest.

Raise the crow's foot and rope down the jib-jabber-gabber...thingy...

#3 2012-10-02 12:53:50

Chill

Oh sorry, I didn't know that.

Cooking is the only crafting profession that is quite confusing to level up. The other crafting professions all follow a certain structure that is the same for every tier. Alas it is not so with cooking that is why I am looking for a nice guide. I'm currently stuck so I'd love to have a better guide.

#4 2012-10-02 13:13:42

ark
Officer
Website

i would read a better guide with interest. at some point i'll level my charr and i still will want to make him a cook.

Everybody needs 21 16 5 seconds of Empathy Confusion.

#5 2012-10-03 11:34:03

arwen

I would read it as well, I am lvling mesmer and picked up cooking. Its really confusing.

#6 2012-10-03 14:57:37

9th Requiem
Officer

Written from 1-200 so far - will update later with the rest. This contains a few discovery spoilers, so you've been warned.

Firstly, there's no simple do this for X levels, then that for Y levels. The easiest method all depends on what you have, and what you'll probably have is a bit of everything. So for each 25 level span, there's multiple things to make; do which ever you have the ingredients for (or can get cheapest). Ingredient locations are at the end if you need them.
Second, this guide lists recipes that are the easiest - it only scratches the surface of how many recipes there are available; remember you get a lot of discovery bonus, so try that out. It's also really fun!

There's some expensive ingredients this guide deliberately avoids. Coriander, Rosemary, Sesame seeds and Cloves all sell on TP for over a silver, despite their level. You're probably better off selling them if you just want to level, however they can be used for additional discovered recipes if you want. Dill sells well, but is pretty useful, so it's up to you. Vanilla is extremely useful; while it sells very well, it can be used in some of the best recipes, so hang onto it.

For discovery, try going to the discovery tab and moving an item across and see what's left. It will tell you how many more ingredients you need to add, and how many more recipes use that ingredient.
It helps to have other cooking items that list on their tooltip that they're ingredients too. Many recipes have higher level versions you can get from adding more to them.

Items in italics are those given to you that don't need discovery.

0-25
Pile of Salt and Pepper - Salt + Black Peppercorns - Make plenty of this - it will be useful later
Pile of Cinnamon and Sugar - Cinnamon Sticks + Sugar - You don't need much of this; just one or two will be fine
Bowl of Poultry Stock - Carrot + onion + Water + Poultry Meat - You'll need at most only a few of these.
Loaf of Bread - Water + Flour + Yeast - All the ingredients can be bought from trainer, plus it comes in useful.
Slice of Buttered Toast - Loaf of Bread + Stick of Butter - Quick addition to the previous; make in conjunction, and make plenty.
Ball of Dough - Flour + Butter + Water - You'll need plenty of this later, so make all you can.

25-50
Simple Dressing - Pile of Salt and Pepper + Oil + Vinegar - Use up your Piles of salt and pepper you made earlier on this, saving as many as you made poultry stock.
Vegetable Stock - Carrots + Onions + Water + Celery - Make a few - Ideally, make in equal quantities as the next item. No need to make too many.
Staple Soup Vegetables - Carrot + Potato + Onion + Celery - See vegetable stock.
Simple Salad - Simple Dressing + Lettuce - Only make if you need to in order to level; save as much dressing as you can for later.

50-75
Simple Vegetable Soup - Vegetable Stock + Staple Soup Vegetables + Tomato + Green Beans - Use all the stock and staple vegetables you made before.
Paste Noodles - Flour + Egg + Water - Make only a few of these
Cinnamon Toast - Slice of Toast + Pile of Cinnamon and Sugar - Make sparingly; save most of the toast for later
Ball of Cookie Dough - Flour + Butter + Egg + Sugar - After you've exhausted the above, make one of these, followed by one of the next item until you hit 75
Blueberry Cookie - Cookie Dough + Blueberry

75-100
Slice of Garlic Bread - Slice of Buttered Toast + Garlic + Parsley - Use all your remaining toast on this.
Jar of tomato sauce - Tomato + Onion + Garlic + Parsley - You'll need just a couple of these.
Baker's Dry Ingredients - Flour + Baking Powder + salt + Sugar - Make plenty.
Bowl of Roux - Flour + Butter - Make as much of this as you have poultry stock.

100-125
Pasta with Tomato Sauce - Pasta Noodles + Jar of Tomato sauce - Combine all you have.
Bowl of Cream Soup Base - Buttermilk + Pile of Salt and Pepper + Poultry Stock + Bowl of Roux - Combine all you have.
Meatballs - Garlic Bread + Red Meat + Cheese + Egg - Use with all the garlic bread you have.
Lemon Bars - Baker's Dry + Lemon + Egg + Butter - This is a great recipe because it's useful - it's a good early source of magic find.

125-150
Meatball Dinner - Pasta with Tomato Sauce + meatballs - Combine all you have (Yes, you need this much cooking level to add some meatballs to some pasta...)
Clam Chowder - Potato + Onion + Cream Soup Base + Clam - Fairly straight forward. Don't use up all your soup base if you can help it.
Strawberry Pie Filling - Sugar + Strawberry + Water + Starch - Strawberrys are fairly reliable to obtain, although tricky in large bulk. Make in conjuction with the following.
Strawberry Pie - Strawberry Pie Filling + Ball of Dough - Uses the above; make one filling then one pie, then repeat (rather than doing in bulk)

150-175
Chocolate Cherry - Chocolate bar + Cherry - If you have plenty of chocolate, this will work well.
Yam Fritter - Flour + Egg + Baking Powder + Yam - This is a good recipe if you use condition damage. It's also a good use for any yams you've got.
Cherry Cookie - Cherry + Cookie Dough - Make as many as you need.

175-200
Coleslaw - Sugar + Simple Dressing + Sour Cream + Cabbage - Cabbage, like strawberrys, can be found reliably.
Creamy Portobello Soup - Cream Soup Base + Portobello Mushroom + Onion - If you have any soup base left, use it here.
Grape Pie Filling - Sugar + Lemon + Starch + Grape - As with srawberry pie filling, make with the actual pie
Grape Pie - Grape Pie Filling + Ball of Dough - See above.

Peppercorns - Herbs of most levels can drop these, but mostly Herb Seedlings that grow in the level 1-15 areas.
Cinnamon Sticks - Any tree that gives green or soft logs (Those in the 1-15 and 15-25 areas).
Butter - Any loot bag.
Carrots - From carrots in early zones, then from Root Vegetables and Variegated Taproots later on.
Onions - From onions, found in most zones.
Poultry Meat - Moas can drop these, but they're most common from raptors.
Blueberry - These grow in all 1-15 zones.
Garlic - Herb Seedlings and Herb Sprouts, found in 1-15 and 15-25 zones respectively.
Parsley - Herb Seedlings and Herb Sprouts, found in 1-15 and 15-25 zones respectively.
Celery - In Wayfarer foothills (Norn 1-15 zone), Hangrammr Climb, there's a karma vendor Bjarni who sells them.
Egg - Skales are a good source of these, as are drakes. Try Queensdale, in particular the river that runs through Shaemoor.
Lemon - In Caledon Forest (Sylvari 1-15 zone), Ventry Bay, karma vendor Eona.
Cherry - In Harathi Hinterlands, Nightguard Beach, karma vendor Lieutenant Summers
Yam - From Root Vegetables in Harathi Hinterlands or Lornar's Pass (more common in the former).
Cabbage - There's a bandit cave in Harathi Hinterlands, just west of the karma vendor in Wynchona Woods. Another patch may be found in Dredgehaunt, just west of the Wide Expanse waypoint.
Portobello Mushroom - Randomly from Varied Mushrooms, always from Portobello Mushrooms. Can be found in caves from any 40+ zone.
Grapes - Pirate camp near the southwest corner of Lornar's, Ogre stronghold in the southeast of Fields of Ruin.

Raise the crow's foot and rope down the jib-jabber-gabber...thingy...

#7 2012-10-03 21:28:05

Saana

Very nice piece of information, 9th. And like someone earlier mentioned it pretty much follows the real backery etc. rules.

2 against 20,000 and we killed em BOTH!

Board footer