#126 2013-01-30 16:55:06

Saana

Re: Latest info about GW2

Laurels for trinkets and you are forced to do fractals if you want ascended armor set. Open world gaming my hairy hind.

2 against 20,000 and we killed em BOTH!

#127 2013-01-31 15:43:55

wilson
Slayer of Owls

Saana wrote:

Laurels for trinkets and you are forced to do fractals if you want ascended armor set. Open world gaming my hairy hind.

Hehe, thanks for the laugh.

But sadly I think the last update was the final nail in the coffin for me. sad I simply cannot be bothered to grind 3 months straight only to remain competitive. And after that another 3 months if I want to experience a different build/setup. Not to speak of further updates that introduce ascended weapons, armour and possibly different tiers (heroic gear? champion gear? hey! it's fun!).

Honor? Huh! Honor's killed millions of people, it hasn't saved a single one.

#128 2013-01-31 17:36:32

9th Requiem
Officer

wilson wrote:
Saana wrote:

Hehe, thanks for the laugh.

But sadly I think the last update was the final nail in the coffin for me. sad I simply cannot be bothered to grind 3 months straight only to remain competitive. And after that another 3 months if I want to experience a different build/setup. Not to speak of further updates that introduce ascended weapons, armour and possibly different tiers (heroic gear? champion gear? hey! it's fun!).

Maybe. But tbh I still spend enough time running around in greens to really care about pinks. My Ele has a pink book for a backpack, and I noticed exactly no change.
I'm going to save my laurels and buy the second fanciest cat.

Raise the crow's foot and rope down the jib-jabber-gabber...thingy...

#129 2013-01-31 17:47:45

ark
Officer
Website

Saana wrote:

grind for people who want to grind, because some people have too much time to kill. greens to oranges for everybody else.

wilson wrote:

I simply cannot be bothered to grind 3 months straight only to remain competitive. And after that another 3 months if I want to experience a different build/setup. Not to speak of further updates that introduce ascended weapons, armour and possibly different tiers (heroic gear? champion gear? hey! it's fun!).

what's your k/d? tell me that you never killed better equipped invaders, what with your rerolling and stuff. you are competitive because you know what you are doing, not because of the couple percent higher stats.

Everybody needs 21 16 5 seconds of Empathy Confusion.

#130 2013-01-31 19:21:08

wilson
Slayer of Owls

Even worse than the time investment to get one item is that here is no way to speed up the process. Smart play, winning in w3, completing a very hard area in PvE don't help. The only way you progress is by sitting it out, doing your little grind every day.

The stat difference is minimal on one item. But it is ever increasing with the introduction of more items. If I kept playing I'd certainly end up with a trinket or two. But other players would have 6/7/8 ascended items, making their toon that much more powerful, only because they spent more time farming fractals or doing dailies/monthlies. In w3, this will go on up to a point where the stat difference will directly decide the outcome of a fight. Just look at how easily a player in full exotic gear dispatches an upped player. Even a full rare armour set doesn't help. In PvE, it makes certain areas completely off-limits to me.

I'm may or may not be nitpicking here, thats for you to decide, but this creates a barrier in the game that I'm not willing to cross. This is not my understandment of fun. This kind of progress does not appeal to me and, honestly, it isn't even progress at all.

#131 2013-01-31 19:42:51

Saana

Maybe we should start to play with town clothing only. Or no clothing at all smile

2 against 20,000 and we killed em BOTH!

#132 2013-02-01 11:49:56

Druar
Slayer of Trolls

I think we can all agree that having a gear treadmill, however insignificant or not it might be is common practise in most mmo's, I'm not saying it's good or bad, just saying it's there.

The major mistake by Anet here is having gear affect the outcome of PvP encounters, namely in WvW, call it what you will, but if I'm fighting another human beeing that is PvP to me, even tho in many aspects WvW is just PvE with a twist.

For PvE I couldn't care less about Ascended gear, lvl80 Masterworks will serve good enough in pretty much all places of the game. In WvW it is another story, like wils say's 1 or 2 items of ascended quality makes little to no difference, and sure you will beat a bad player with ascended trinkets most of the time, it does however provide an unfair advantage, something that should not exist in any form of competitive environment, and truth be told, however casual you approach WvW it IS infact a competitive environment.

From a pure PvE perspective, I really don't mind the Laurels/Dailies/Monthlies they are there if I feel like doing them, and most of the time it just comes along while playing normally. Getting some actually nice rewards for playing is to me not a bad thing, so from this perspective i think the change is awesome. I mean, I played pretty much everyday since release, and got 1(?!?) yup 1 single exotic drop ever. I for one like guaranteed loot, even if I have to work for it.

The only issue I have with it besides the whole WvW debacle is that the only way currently is grinding the dailies + monthlies and doing fractals, this forces you to do stuff you might not want to do or enjoy, "Quote: This is your story", Well, if your story is what Anet want's it to be then sure^^

There are a few solutions:

1. PvP gear in WvW, solves all of my issues with it.
2. All gear availible in PvE, availible in WvW, srsly why isnt it availible for badges? Partly solves the problem, you can keep doing what you enjoy and sooner or later the stuff will be availible to you.
3. Make the damn things not soulbound/accountbound, srsly i hate that mechanic. gw1 had it right with the item customization. Just frikkin remove the soulbound crap alltogether, it has no place in a game that is supposed to be about groups of people playing toghether. Example, I used up karma from toons that dont need it on the new chests availible in Orr, from these things you get crap, karma bottles, and "rarely" a mini. I had huge piles of karma on my Guardian/Thief/Mesmer which led to the silly thing that I got 3 minis, however cool it might be I have no use for 3 identical accountbound mini's!!!! Now if I could actually give those away to my friends, that be swell smile

So in short: Ascended stuff in WvW sucks, WvW should have PvP gear (or atleast beeing able to get all availible gear (attributes) for badges), and f'ing burn the soulbound crap thing.

Overworked Dru says: And that's how the cookie crumbles tongue

"Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great."

#133 2013-02-01 12:07:50

arwen

The biggest mistake I think (aside from the gear treadmill they said will never be in game) is that you have to craft to finish you monthly/daily. Lot of people play only pvp in GW and most of them dont even bother with lvling any crafting profession.
Heck even people who PVE dont want to craft 10 useless items every day. Considering how fucked up is economy in this game I am pretty sure I wouldn't want either.
There is a huge thread on official forums about it, but ofc no respons from Anet.
PVP gear would help, or just make it so that you can choose what you want to do from daily ( per exp. do 3 out of 5 or something like that) so that people who PVP can do it by just doing PVP.
Anyhow I actually kind of like this change, it might make me log on even:)

#134 2013-02-01 12:08:06

wilson
Slayer of Owls

Druar wrote:

...Now if I could actually give those away to my friends, that be swell...

Giving away struff, I miss that too. Honestly, if laurel was about vanity and wasn't soulbound, I'd probably do dailies and even monthlies, cause I could give it away to people that enjoy shinies. Makes no sense at all, but that's how it is. smile

I also think that everything should link together in a a game. Segregation kills large portions of it, just have a look at the sorry state of sPvP, which is IMHO not only due to lack of content.

#135 2013-02-01 13:26:53

Druar
Slayer of Trolls

wilson wrote:
Druar wrote:

...Now if I could actually give those away to my friends, that be swell...

Giving away struff, I miss that too. Honestly, if laurel was about vanity and wasn't soulbound, I'd probably do dailies and even monthlies, cause I could give it away to people that enjoy shinies. Makes no sense at all, but that's how it is. smile

I also think that everything should link together in a a game. Segregation kills large portions of it, just have a look at the sorry state of sPvP, which is IMHO not only due to lack of content.

Yeah this pretty much sums up what took me 5 times as long of a post to say smile

While I do enjoy gw2, somehow much of it is fun to me, it still feels like a beta in many ways, then again all I need to be happy in a game is a character I like the looks of that plays somewhat like I wan't it to smile

"Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great."

#136 2013-02-01 16:31:39

Druar
Slayer of Trolls

arwen wrote:

Heck even people who PVE dont want to craft 10 useless items every day. Considering how fucked up is economy in this game I am pretty sure I wouldn't want either.

I realised yesterday that all you need to do is refine 10 items, such as take copper ore and make ingots, no need to actually craft some crap merch fodder, makes it a little better but still smile

From what I've seen so far the daily changes slightly each day, but there seems to be a very limited variation to them... The proper thing to do would be to let you choose 5 things out of the ones availible that you want to do, then if you want to craft each day, then you can, kill variety is your thing? go ahead, as long as you do 5 categories it would be enough for daily, that way there would be choice, I could do daily "my way".

To tired to post stuff really, but I had to, was even harder to try to work^^

#137 2013-02-01 16:41:49

9th Requiem
Officer

Druar wrote:
arwen wrote:

I realised yesterday that all you need to do is refine 10 items, such as take copper ore and make ingots, no need to actually craft some crap merch fodder, makes it a little better but still smile

From what I've seen so far the daily changes slightly each day, but there seems to be a very limited variation to them... The proper thing to do would be to let you choose 5 things out of the ones availible that you want to do, then if you want to craft each day, then you can, kill variety is your thing? go ahead, as long as you do 5 categories it would be enough for daily, that way there would be choice, I could do daily "my way".

To tired to post stuff really, but I had to, was even harder to try to work^^

In the future, we’ll be adding support to allow you to complete your dailies by finishing a subset from a larger list.

- from https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/n … ts-system/

When (or if) it's coming I can't say, but it's on the books.
Also : I want that fancy cat.

Raise the crow's foot and rope down the jib-jabber-gabber...thingy...

#138 2013-02-01 17:56:41

Druar
Slayer of Trolls

That's actually good news, thx Ninth smile

#139 2013-02-02 10:04:24

wilson
Slayer of Owls

9th Requiem wrote:

That doesn't change much does it. You'r still not getting anywhere if you don't do your daily. It makes the daily chore a bit easier, but the gear treadmill remains intact.

#140 2013-02-02 16:01:05

Nagel

9th Requiem wrote:

In the future, we’ll be adding support to allow you to complete your dailies by finishing a subset from a larger list.

Oh, that's good news, that it's atleast being considered.

#141 2013-02-26 19:08:31

Eili
Officer

Whatever they say this sounds like it clearly favours the big guilds...

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/guides/bas … d-missions

#142 2013-02-27 10:58:19

Druar
Slayer of Trolls

Guild missions certainly favors larger guilds, atleast from what ive seen so far.

The new daily implementation is a nice addition, there are many different to choose from, and any 5 of them completed counts. Atleast it makes the daily seem less grindy smile

Also improved preview, with TP preview \o/

#143 2013-02-27 12:39:42

ark
Officer
Website

guild missions sound interesting, but considering the cost of entry and the time limits involved i'd say it's more of a spectator sport.

Everybody needs 21 16 5 seconds of Empathy Confusion.

#144 2013-03-26 16:29:01

Eili
Officer

#145 2013-03-28 15:21:38

wilson
Slayer of Owls

[rant]
Double discrimination! By gear, and now rank too. tongue
[/rant]

Ah, the thing I miss most about gaming. wink

#146 2013-03-28 18:51:49

Eili
Officer

The rant or the discrimination?

#147 2013-03-29 08:10:15

wilson
Slayer of Owls

Eili wrote:

The rant or the discrimination?

Interesting question! Probably both. Discrimination (bad in games, there's enough of that in RL) fuels my rant (most delicious past-time wink ). This also means that without /rant a game would be less interesting. So a perfect game is just as bad as a most imperfect one.

Makes sense, doesn't it. smile

Last edited by wilson (2013-03-29 08:20:02)

Board footer