#1 2012-08-26 10:36:58

9th Requiem
Officer

Crafting Quick Start

Just an extremely basic guide so you know how to get started with the craftings :

With the exception of Jewelry and Cooking, all the crafting options are the same : The majority of your items will have two parts (eg, a handle and a blade, or a lining and a panel) plus an extra.

The starter versions (marked (Simple)) with use a vial of weak blood, but after that you'll need to make inscriptions (weapons) or Insignia (armour).  You get the recipes for those automatically, but not the recipe to actually use them.
You need to make the two halves of the item, then go into the Discovery tab (it's the top one, with the Anvil icon). Drag the two halves plus the insignia/inscription you have into the boxes. The box at the bottom will tell you it's an undiscovered recipe, and let you craft it. The version with insignia/inscription will be much stronger than the Simple one.
You get a huge stack of crafting XP for discovering a new item, so the best way to level is to make things you've not made before. For example, if you've made a staff with the Mighty inscription, make one with Vital, as they count entirely separately.

There are discovery recipes that break this mold. Sometimes it's worth putting a crafting ingredient into the discovery and seeing what doesn't grey out. For example, I found on Armorsmith that putting down a bronze ingot left glittering dust ungreyed, and was able to find that those two items made a recipe.

Jewelry doesn't give you any starting recipes. You can make hooks, bands and settings. The basic recipe is Jewel + Setting + (either band or hook). You get more detailed things later on, with adornments and pendants, but that pattern will work for most of it.

Cooking is really hard. You need discovery for pretty much everything, and there are no patterns to it. You can get a load of ingredients in your inventory that look like they might work together and throw them at discovery till something fits, or you can think through how to make things. They start off fairly simple, for example a slab of red meat + pile of salt and pepper will give you a grilled steak, but quickly things will become pretty complicated. On top of that, many of the ingredients are hard to locate. Be prepared to spend a lot of money and karma to get only minor benefits.

Raise the crow's foot and rope down the jib-jabber-gabber...thingy...

#2 2012-08-31 15:28:24

arwen

Re: Crafting Quick Start

I found this one some site, seems fun:):

Pro Tip: Every cooking recipe in Guild Wars 2 is a real recipe for real food in real life (or a basic approximation). If you think you are close to figuring out one of the combinations, google a recipe for the food you suspect it might be, and odds are, you can find a bunch of recipes for things like that to try out.

#3 2012-08-31 20:07:44

Eili
Officer

A really good guide on crafting from BWEs (found the link on the SoF forum):

http://gaiscioch.com/tavern/guildwars_c … 35198.html

#4 2012-09-27 09:33:35

Druar
Slayer of Trolls

Ok so Dru finally got how crafting works it is purely a money sink (if you are lazy like me atleast) Cooking is the exception here tho. This is probably old news to many of you, but this simple formula would have helped me immensly when starting, and Ninths original post headed me in the right direction smile

1. refine materials.
2. make insignias.
3. make parts (if saving money, check the TP for already crafted parts, or just go for the cheapest to make once gloves/feet stuff).
4. discover (2 parts + insignia = shiny stuff) until you reach the next tier.

The tier are in increments of 25, so after 25, 50, 75 etc you get new insignias/materials to use.

As for cooking it uses only discovery and is sort of fun once you get alot of materials to play around with. food boosting magic find is sellable but not with profit, everything else is junk or for personal use.

this process repeats itself until 375 where you need a 1.5 step, buy rare recipe from trader for karma. Following this simple process got me from 125 tailor to 400 in about an hour not using any boosters, i did however use TP for the mats i didnt have which made poor ol'Dru really poor really fast (not that I was rich to begin with big_smile)

A friedly advice from your neighbourhood Dru, if you are just after better armor, buy it of TP it is waaaaaay cheaper than making it yourself (people are unloading stuff they got from maxing it i guess).

"Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great."

#5 2012-09-27 10:19:42

Juun

Yeah, I got a crafted 57 copper coat that I wanted, and just transmuted it. Better than crafting from scratch.

Druar, if you needed materials you should have asked me. If you're crafting another trade... now you know.
I'm not crafting so I don't need anything.

Plus I can bug you when I want a new armor.
I'm actually hoarding some jewelry materials so I can have a certain someone make me Lv 80 accessories ;P

Last edited by Juun (2012-09-27 10:20:09)

#6 2012-09-27 10:21:17

Druar
Slayer of Trolls

Juun wrote:

Druar, if you needed materials you should have asked me. If you're crafting another trade... now you know.
I'm not crafting so I don't need anything.

Plus I can bug you when I want a new armor.

You better believe i will, As i plan to max weaponsmith next ^^

"Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great."

#7 2012-09-27 14:09:30

Eili
Officer

Juun, I could do with some mats! As I try to keep both my tailoring and artificing around my own level as I level my main toon (I just like to craft my own staff even though I know it isn't economical) I'm really struggling with the materials:(

#8 2012-09-27 20:46:34

Juun

Which tier materials do you need Eili? Do you still need the beginner ones?

Board footer